Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Trumbull Co. Fair 2010

The 2010 Trumbull County fair was certainly one to remember. We had beautiful weather all week long (a first in my memory)! As Queen, I was quite busy all week. Here were some of my highlights.

Tuesday, June 29: Early in the afternoon, I helped to organize the Jr. Fair Board's second annual Jr. Fair Member Auction. As a junior member of the Trumbull Co. Advisory Committee, as well as the 2008 4-H Queen, I enjoyed helping in our county's 4-H crowning ceremony. This year was our county's first year to have a Jr. 4-H Court, which was geared for kids ages 9 to 13, with a least one year completed in the program. I was more than ecstatic to crown my little brother, Jimmy, as the first Trumbull Co. Jr. 4-H Prince! His twin, Tori, is a member of the Jr. Court.
Our county's first Jr. 4-H Princess and Prince: Tatum Sheets and James DePizzo

Wednesday, June 30: Tommy and I worked on a new fundraiser for the Jr. Fair Board, Cow Patty Bingo, all morning. We spent hours creating our "bingo sheet" in the draft horse arena...our cow only took about 3 minutes to leave a "deposit" and declare our winner! We rushed to our rabbit show later that afternoon.

Thursday, July 1: Tommy and I got up early to meet Channel 21 at our fair gates! After meeting Mike Case, we filmed three shorts about the fair. Being on camera was so much fun! We talked about our roles as King and Queen, ate fried PB&J (try it - delicious!), and took part in the fire show. You can watch our shorts by clicking the links below. Filling in for a MIA livestock photographer, I was able to watch and take pictures of the steer show! I was so happy for the Grand Champion, Emily Culp (my fellow coworker at Locos Amigos) and Reserve Champion, Erika Zuga (one of my campers at Whitewood).


Friday, July 2: Rabbit showmanship! I was happy to win fourth place in senior showmanship. I coordinated and judged the JFB's ice cream eating contest...those kids really downed the ice cream fast! I was quite impressed. Later in the evening, I helped out fellow JFB member, Tyler Wolfe with his second annual Trumbull Idol Competition by passing out awards. Each of the singers was so talented! I was really proud of Tyler for making such a huge event go over so smoothly. That night, I went on my first ever block watch. It was definitely a new experience for me. I even got to see a baby goat be born!
Mr. Hartman, Tommy, and I on a block watch shift

Saturday, July 3: Tommy and I were "spotters" at the auction. It certainly kept us on our toes all morning! We got to meet our 2010 Ohio Fair's Queen, Heather Wilson, who was touring our fair that day. What a sweet girl! Later that night, I went on my first helicopter ride with my "body guard" for the week, Mr. Mathew Hartman. Even though none of our photos turned out that great, seeing the fair at night from the sky was absolutely breath taking.
Ohio Fair's Queen Heather, myself, and Tommy outside the rabbit barn

Sunday, July 4: Happy 4th of July! This was my last day of fair. It was a bittersweet end, as always. Big events of the day included the very popular kiddie tractor pull, the parade of colors, and the annual Advisory breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment